- What is Business Aviation?
- Flight Department Administration
- Aircraft Operations
- Professional Development
- News & Publications
- Products & Services
Project Bootstrap is the proposed aviation maintenance technician certification program developed by the NBAA Maintenance Committee's Training/Advanced Education Subcommittee in collaboration with strategic partners throughout the aviation industry. The goal of Project Bootstrap is to raise the educational and professional bar for aviation technicians through the creation of a new and higher certified category.
Project Bootstrap will provide:
- Career direction
- Career expansion
- Evolutionary growth to the maintenance profession
- New stimulus at career entry point
- Educational growth opportunities
- Added value to aviation business bottom line
- Increased performance in safety and quality
- Increased earnings potential for maintenance professionals
Aviation Maintenance Technical Engineer (AMTE)
The new certification category proposed by Project Bootstrap is the aviation maintenance technical engineer (AMTE). The AMTE credential will combine the A&P, IA and avionics skill sets with a required 10-year contiguous experience history composed of any combination of years of service in any rated capacity following the award of all certificates, licenses and ratings.
The Maintenance Committee supports NextTech for NextGen, a new initiative intended to promote global changes in the aviation maintenance profession. In the face of the ongoing modernization of aircraft navigation, communications and surveillance equipment, all maintenance technicians will need to be able to certify NextGen aircraft as both airworthy and fit for the mission. A white paper on the subject will be available soon. Read the NextTech for NextGen white paper to learn more.
NBAA Project Bootstrap Strategic Partners
- Aircraft Maintenance Technology (AMT)
- American Electronics Association (AEA)
- Aviation Maintenance Society (AMS)
- Aviation Institute of Maintenance (AIM) Philadelphia, PA
- Aviation Technician Education Council (ATEC)
- National Air Transportation Association (NATA)
- National Center for Aviation Technician Training (NCATT)
- Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (ERAU)
- Helicopter Association International (HAI)
- Lufthansa Technique
- Professional Aviation Maintenance Association (PAMA)/SAE Institute