- What is Business Aviation?
- Flight Department Administration
- Aircraft Operations
- Professional Development
- News & Publications
- Products & Services
NBAA's Airports Handbook makes a compelling case for the importance of general aviation airports and their economic and social contributions to surrounding communities and the nation. Learn More.
NBAA provides step-by-step guidance, checklists and detailed information for individuals and groups who are involved in promoting and advocating for their community airport. Learn more.
Pilots Should Always Be Prepared for Unique Challenges at Wyoming's Jackson Hole Airport
Feb. 4, 2014
Located in a scenic mountain valley, Jackson Hole Airport (JAC) in western Wyoming is a unique and challenging airport that requires in-bound operators to utilize thorough pre-flight planning, make smart in-flight decisions and pay meticulous attention to procedures on landing. The only U.S. airport with commercial service that lies entirely within a national park – Grand Teton – and by far the busiest airport in Wyoming (averaging about 75 operations daily, though the number is highly variable by season), Jackson Hole's abundance of unique features have earned the airport its own FAA safety alert for operators, SAFO 11011, titled "Best Practices and Mitigation Strategies for Special Airports." Read more about JAC.
Reno-Tahoe Airport Is Taking a 'New Approach' to General Aviation
Jan. 13, 2014
The Reno-Tahoe Airport Authority (RTAA) – operator of Reno-Tahoe International Airport (RNO) and Reno-Stead Airport (RTS) – is making plans for the future by placing significant emphasis on serving the general aviation (GA) community at RNO. New RTAA CEO Marily Mora is championing the effort, called "A New Approach," which is part of the recently released five-year strategic plan. "We went from virtually no relationship with RTAA to them asking, 'How can we help you?'" said Bob Meurer, president of the Reno-Tahoe Aviation Group (RTAG), an organization that includes pilots, based businesses and other members of the local business aviation community. "It's a 180-degree turn from our previous relationship, and we're tickled pink about it." Read more about growing GA at RNO.
Kissimmee Gateway's Crosswind Runway to Close for Construction
Dec. 6, 2013
The crosswind runway, 6/24, on Kissimmee Gateway Airport (ISM) south of Orlando, FL, will close on or about Jan. 2 for approximately 120 days. The runway will be undergoing major reconstruction is not expected to reopen until the work is completed. The main runway, 15/33, will remain open for normal operations. For more information, contact Kissimmee Operations at (407) 518-2537 or read more about runway work at ISM.
Texas City Embraces GA Airport as Economic Driver
Nov. 26, 2013
Officials in McKinney, TX recently finalized a deal to invest $25 million to buy the former Collin County Regional Airport (TKI) and expand its business aircraft services. The newly renamed McKinney National Airport has a 7,000-foot-long runway, new control tower and instrument approach. "Economic development by business aviation, that's the ticket," said Ken Wiegand, Collin County's airport director. "The McKinney City Council understands we're ideally situated for attracting businesses that use aircraft, so they want TKI to be the best general aviation airport in the region." Read more about TKI.
Eastern Iowa Airport Invests in Business Aircraft Hangar
Nov. 19, 2013
As part of an infrastructure improvement project that got underway this month, Clinton Municipal Airport (CWI) in Iowa is adding a new hangar for business aircraft up to Cessna Citation X size, as well as a new terminal building, with the support of federal and state funding. "Clinton is representative of Iowa, which is full of entrepreneurial cities, but which are sometimes without robust airline service," said NBAA Central Region Representative Bob Quinn. "Clinton has invested in the suitable qualities needed for a business aircraft. Investing in facilities for midsize business aircraft makes sense." Construction at CWI should be complete by March or April, 2014. Read more about CWI.
FAA Releases Holiday Traffic Management Details for Colorado Airports
Nov. 15, 2013
In preparation for the 2013 and 2014 holiday season, the FAA has released a notice outlining plans for managing air traffic in and out of three Colorado airports: Aspen-Pitkin County (ASE), Eagle County Regional (EGE) and Rifle/Garfield County (RIL). This season, the FAA will not be using an air traffic slot reservation program (managed through the e-STMP system); instead the agency will implement a variety of initiatives, including ground delay programs (GDPs), miles-in-trail, required routes and ground stops. Review the FAA notice and additional details on NBAA's winter holidays web page.
Outagamie County Regional Enhancing GA Services
Nov. 1, 2013
With its two long runways, relatively flat terrain, limited commercial service and a new “green” general aviation terminal, Wisconsin’s Outagamie County Regional Airport (ATW) is hoping to attract more business aviation operations to its 1,700 acres just west of Appleton. The new building, which had its grand opening on Oct. 15, utilizes geothermal heating and cooling, a roof-mounted solar photovoltaic display and locally sourced materials, among many other environmentally friendly features. Read more about ATW.
NBAA Can Help Members Support Their Airports
Sept. 30, 2013
Too often, when there's a public meeting on an airport issue, none of the tenants shows up, said John Dorcey, chairman of the Society of Aviation and Flight Educators (SAFE) and a retired airport executive. "So already, before the project is out of the gate, the deck is stacked against us because those who do show up are anti-airport or anti-spending," he added. But for those unsure of how to get involved, advocacy groups, such as NBAA can help by providing technical information, political expertise and contacts, both within government and within the industry. Listen to this week's NBAA Flight Plan podcast on advocating for your airport.
Get to Know Your Airport’s Operations Crew
Aug. 29, 2013
Business aviation professionals can work out of a hangar for years without knowing the airport's management or operations staff. "A lot of times, airport tenants don't know what the operations crew can do. They see us driving snowplows, fixing lights and signs. But what we do is often above and beyond," said John Dorcey, a former airport operations manager who is now a consultant for Skyword Communications in Oshkosh, WI. That lack of familiarity with just what an airport operations director and staff can do often leads to misperceptions, he said. Listen to this week's NBAA Flight Plan podcast for more on the importance of knowing your airport's ops staff.
Airports in Focus
Learn more about some key general aviation airports located nationwide.
- Centennial Airport (APA) – Centennial, CO
- Naples Municipal Airport (APF) – Naples, FL
- Outagamie County Regional Airport (ATW) – Appleton, WI
- Bradley International Airport (BDL) – Windsor Locks, CT
- Sikorsky Memorial Airport (BDR) – Bridgeport, CT
- Bangor International Airport (BGR) – Bangor, ME
- Hernando County Airport (BKV) – Brooksville, FL
- Bowman Municipal Airport (BPP) – Bowman, ND
- Bob Hope Airport (BUR) – Burbank, CA
- Chandler Municipal Airport (CHD) – Chandler, AZ
- Clinton Municipal Airport (CWI) – Clinton, IA
- Canandaigua Airport (D38) – Canandaigua, NY
- Baraboo-Wisconsin Dells Municipal Airport (DLL) – Baraboo, WI
- Eagle County Regional Airport (EGE) – Eagle County, CO
- Wellington Municipal Airport (EGT) – Wichita, KS,
- Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL) – Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport (FXE) – Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Glendale Municipal Airport (GEU) – Glendale, AZ
- Manassas Regional Airport/Harry P. Davis Field (HEF) – Manassas, VA
- Jackson Hole Airport (JAC) – Jackson Hole, WY
- Leesburg Executive Airport (JYO) – Leesburg, VA
- Charles B. Wheeler Downtown Airport (MKC) – Kansas City, MO
- Ohio State University Airport (OSU) – Columbus, OH
- Snohomish County Airport/Paine Field (PAE) – Everett, WA
- Oakland County International Airport (PTK) – Pontiac, Michigan
- Paulding County Northwest Atlanta Airport (PUJ) – Dallas, GA
- Wiley Post Airport (PWA) – Oklahoma City, OK
- Chicago Executive Airport (PWK) – Wheeling, IL
- Reno-Tahoe International Airport (RNO) – Reno, NV
- Reno-Stead Airport (RTS) – Reno, NV
- San Francisco International Airport (SFO) – San Francisco, CA
- Santa Monica Municipal Airport (SMO) – Santa Monica, CA
- Witham Field (SUA) – Stuart, FL
- Teterboro Airport (TEB) – Teterboro, NJ
- Collin County Regional Airport (TKI) – McKinney, TX
- Van Nuys Airport (VNY) – Van Nuys, CA